Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hey Lady, eyes up!

Hmmmm... usually this happens with men and, ahem, another body part (or two).  But yesterday, I 'met' a woman who was clearly not thinking of me as a whole person.

Prior to now, introductions were fairly standard and always assumed that the person you were meeting had a name.  So imagine my surprise when a woman chose to begin her 'conversation' with me by avoiding eye contact, looking directly at my stomach area and asking "is this your first pregnancy?".

Not "What's your name?"
Not "Hi, I'm Brenda...."

Mmmm. So, I'm a body part to you?   I'm just going to hazard a guess here, but we're not likely to get along.  My one word answer should have been your clue to step off, but no, maybe you're right lady.  It WILL be fun to continue to pester me without actually attempting to ask my name...  go ahead, tell me that story about a couple you know, who are clearly crazy because they have been married ten years and are just now having a baby.  You have found the perfect person to confide in, especially since you have made such an effort to learn so much about me.

And, just when it appears I've managed to get away from you, please feel free to notice that I'm eating red curry for lunch.  Then please feel free to comment, loudly, that I shouldn't be eating that because 'it could hurt the baby'.

Honestly, I have to say I prefer the ogling, assumptions, and inane conversations I got when guys judge me based on body parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment