Monday, August 16, 2010

"Recalculating"

Life's GPS


All my life I've not really enjoyed children.  Well, I shouldn't put it that way.  What I should say is that, for me, to spend time with the majority of children was less pleasant than say, a dental appointment (now, I've never had a cavity, but still). When I was a teenager, I actively created convenient excuses for why I was unavailable to baby sit.  When I was in college, for a while my part time job was as a caretaker for my young cousin (I was the least enthusiastic of the many sitters my aunt and uncle employed), but college is different. Books are expensive! 

I've had a long time to view the world with children from a bit of an outsider's view.  After my wedding, and my friends' weddings, when they started having children, I noticed that the only industry in the US that seems to have a more profitable grasp around our proverbial throats than the wedding industry is the baby industry.  I couldn't believe some of the things my girlfriends were thrilled to unwrap at their baby showers.  For the life of me, could not understand why two towels that looked *exactly* the same were labeled, and priced, differently as either burping cloths or receiving blankets....... or how we survived as a species before there were baby wipe warmers.  For. the. car.

And, now I find myself here.  Phew. Well, we'll just have to see how this goes.

1 comment:

  1. You can do what I did and miss my baby shower! ;) No fake ohhhing and ahhhing needed! Poor Erik just had to keep drinking beer and opening presents. Maybe Jack could follow in his footsteps and the shower could be for him!

    ReplyDelete