Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Disabled? I don't think so.

And now a word on something that I seem to be in the minority on:  My utter opposition to treating pregnant people like they have a disability.  A special disability, that you can plan for, achieve, and that is ultimately rather fleeting.

I'm talking about the special parking...... and I realize that lots of you will disagree with me on this but, seriously?  Did you not make a choice to be pregnant?  Why yes, yes you did.

This stuff has bothered me for years; the pregnant lady parking, the 'with small children' parking, etc.  If I have a dog, it is my responsibility to take care of him without relying on special treatment from society.  If you have a kid, that doesn't mean that you should expect to command plush parking spaces.  Sorry but I've always thought, and still do, that your kid is your responsibility, and part of that responsibility is to be conscious of possible negative impacts on others, not to expect special treatment.

As soon as I hit the third trimester, the room tech in the OB department was thrilled to tell me I now qualified for the (apparently much coveted) Third Trimester Parking Pass (or TTPP).  She started to whip out one of these passes but before she could fill in the blanks, I ruined her morning by informing her that I did not want one, thanks.  "What?" she asked, obviously thinking she hadn't heard me correctly.  "You're eligible for one now."  Great, I told her, but you can keep it.  "I'm pregnant, I'm not disabled."  She continued to try to talk me into taking the pass, and I continued to tell her no.

Here's the thing:  I made a choice.  A choice to get pregnant.  This choice was well thought out, and is, ultimately, quite temporary.  I do not think that I should be granted the special priviledge of being able to park at the front of the lot because of a deliberate action on my part, end of story.  I've said these things before.... before I ever thought I would be pregnant.  Some of my friends said things sort of like 'well, you'll change your mind if you ever are pregnant' and, funnily enough, I haven't.  Sure, I walk a little slower, but if we start giving out parking passes for preggers, is it only a matter of time before we start giving out 'fat passes' too? I mean, it's hard for the obese to walk the extra distance to the store, often because of choices they made.  My theory is that if you can walk yourself around the store, you can walk yourself up and down the parking lot too.  Gasp, it might even be good for you to move around a little more.

Now, every time I go to an OB appointment, I am asked if I've changed my mind.  Do I want the TTPP? They still can't believe it when I turn the thing down.

No, thanks, I'm fine.

1 comment: